We are happy to announce that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized Kilroy Realty as an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for the fourth year in a row. This award recognizes that, through our partnership with the ENERGY STAR program, we have improved the energy performance of our buildings, saved money for our tenants, and helped protect the environment for future generations. More info available at:
But we do not want to stop there, and we need your help. We want YOUR suggestions on how to make your building, which has already earned the ENERGY STAR, more energy efficient. Some examples are powersave modes on computers and monitors, better use of blinds, clearing window vents, and unplugging cellphones when fully charged. If you have an idea about how to green your building, we want to hear about it and help implement it. Go to the Contact Us page to email the building management team with your ideas!
We are pleased to announce the addition of a battery recycling receptacle in the first floor service corridor. Battery recycling is important to keep heavy metals out of the landfills which prevents the metals from reacting to rainwater that may potentially contaminate the ground water. Please let all your employees know of this new amenity. Please note that only the following types of batteries should be placed in the blue receptacle (pictured below):
- Nickel Cadmium (NiCd)
- Button Cells
- Zinc Carbon
- Silver Oxide
Pedestrian Path Crossing
Lakeshore Towers will be incorporating walkways in two phases to offer a solution for pedestrians that need to the access the area under construction by the Von Karman Avenue and Quartz Street Entrance. Please utilize all appropriate paths of travel at all times. See maps below for timing and the pedestrian path crossings.
Sustainability at Work
As the year comes to a close, we want to thank you for your participation in our 2016 sustainability programs. This was a successful year and you played a big role in these wins. Some highlights include:
- Reducing energy use 2.4% from this time last year
- Reducing water use 1.5% from this time last year
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for the 6th year in a row, this year with our best score ever of 95 out of 100
As a company we also achieved the following:
- Being named the #1 landlord on sustainability in North America for the 3rd time in a row
- Winning our industry's highest honor, the Leader in the Light Award, for the 3rd year in a row
- Winning ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence for the 1st time
We are deeply aware none of this is possible without the constant effort of the people who spend time in our buildings. It is a pleasure collaborating with you this year and we look forward to working with you in 2017!
2016 Tenant Appreciation Cocktail Event
We thank everyone for the amazing turnout at our 2016 Tenant Appreciation Cocktail event. The canapés served included a station with prime beef sliders with gorgonzola butter & arugula and barbeque pulled pork sliders served on Hawaiian sweet rolls both served with parmesan truffle fries. The sopes station had juicy tomatillo carne asada or Oaxacan chicken served over fresh corn cakes. Last there was the dessert station with the campfire sâmore donuts, fresh berry best donuts, blueberry earl grey donuts, and the decadent pumpkin spice donuts. It was great to see everyone enjoying the food and drinks. See you next time!
Energy Star 2016
We are proud to announce 2211 Michelson has again earned EPA’s Energy Star. Our score for the 12 month period rated was 95 which is the building’s highest rating to date. Certification is available on an annual basis. 2211 Michelson has scored at least an 88 each time in the past five years. An Energy Star score is a screening tool the EPA provides to help assess how a building is performing and provides a comprehensive snapshot of the building’s energy performance. With this most recent score of 95, 2211 Michelson outperformed 94 percent of similar buildings nationwide.
Kilroy Realty is excited to share the 2015 Sustainability Report. 2015 was a fantastic year for our sustainability programs! Some of the highlights include:
- Water use reduction of 8.9% from last year
- Energy use reduction of 3.7% from last year
- Big increases in our LEED and ENERGY STAR numbers
- Groundbreaking work in engaging our janitorial vendors on green cleaning
Please click here to access the full report. Kilroy recognizes that our tenants are integral to the success of our sustainability programs and we appreciate your work in reducing the environmental footprint of our buildings.
Palm Cafe Food Court
Please note the Palm Cafe Food Court, located across the street at 2222 Michelson, recently closed for renovations. Renovations are expected to be completed in the next couple of months.
Living with Water Restrictions
|Californians have been able to reduce their water use by 26.3 percent in the last six months since the mandatory state-wide water restrictions took effect. Although we anticipate more rainfall this winter, we need to continue our water conservation efforts.|
In addition to our efforts here at the building, we want to provide you with the following tips for reducing water at home:
- Shorten your shower by just five minutes and you'll save 15 gallons - every time.
- Install faucet aerators and low-flow showerheads and save 16 gallons a day.
- Wait for full loads to wash clothes and dishes and save 20 gallons per load.
- Fix leaks and save more than 15 gallons a day, per leak.
- Turn off the faucet while shaving or brushing your teeth and save 2 gallons a minute.
- Water your lawn in the early morning instead of midday and save 20 gallons.
- Water your lawn only when needed, generally once every three days during the summer - reducing your watering time by just one minute saves 20 gallons.
- Adjust your watering level to match the season. In autumn, cut your watering time by half and stop completely in the winter.
- Clean sidewalks with a broom not a hose and save 15 gallons.